Legislative Affairs Committee
A Legislative Affairs Committee is in place to monitor and establish Chamber positions on proposed federal, state and local legislation and regulations. The Chamber is being proactive by improving communications with our elected officials. We are lobbying effectively on actions that will impact the business climate.
Activities monitored/lobbied in 2017 were:
(1) Health Insurance/Health Care Reform
(2) Workers Compensation
(3) Cost of Energy
(4) Minimum Wage
(5) Blue Collar Task Force Initiatives
(6) Prevailing Wage
(7) Reduction of State Regulations
(8) Unemployment Compensation
(9) Right to Work Zones
(10) Budget Work Group Recommendations
- Work closely with House Small Business Caucus to provide input on business-related bills.
- Continue to take whatever measures to protect members and the business community from the enactment of specific impact fees.
- Increase the awareness of Chamber members on proposed legislation at federal, state and local levels by providing information through “Legislative Alerts” and “Call to Action” Emails.
- Work closely with City and County to revise comprehensive plans.
- Host an annual Legislative Luncheon event with elected officials to share views and information on issues affecting business and to provide direct, open communication with our members.
- Host candidate interviews on business issues which will be published in the Chamber Connections newspaper and appear on our website.