Central Delaware offers the charm of small town living, yet is within driving distance to major Eastern cities. Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington D.C., and Annapolis are all easily reached in less than two hours from Dover, and the Maryland and Delaware beaches are also close at hand.
Kent County offers housing in small town and in small neighborhoods of larger towns. There are also homes scattered across the rural countryside on acre lots and larger parcels.
- Most towns boast Historic districts, with colonial and Victorian homes on tree-lined streets, and Dover’s historic Green is the site of fairs and festivals throughout the year.
- Typical homes in this price range will include 3 or 4 bedrooms, 1.5 to 2 baths, and either a basement or garage. Existing homes will be larger in size than more recently built ones in the same price range.
- Taxes continue to be very moderate, with county and school taxes averaging $500-600 on a typical home. Town taxes will add $200-300 to this yearly amount.
- Average sale price in Kent County for all residential home sales between January 2012 and July 2012 was $193,000. New homes averaged $241,800 and existing homes averaged $176,775.
- Local banks, mortgage companies, and mortgage brokers provide a full range of financial options for homebuyers, including programs for lower income and first-time buyers.
- Numerous apartment complexes offer two and three bedroom rentals. The majority of complexes require a minimum one year lease. A typical two bedroom apartment in a privately owned complex in the Dover area starts at $850 per month and may include washer and dryer. Short-term rentals are also available.
- 55+ Communities and facilities for senior citizens are available with or without land ownership and support buildings on site. Most homebuilders work with local Realtors for sales. Privately owned senior citizen retirement communities with nursing and convalescent care services are available too.
- Members of the Kent County Association of Realtors are well informed about the local housing market, and are members of a regional multiple listing computer network. Dover Air Force Base and numerous local industries constantly relocate families in and out of the area, with the help of local realtors.
For additional information about the area, contact any of the local Realtor offices or the Kent County Association of Realtors at 860 Silver Lake Blvd, Suite 150, Dover, DE 19904, (302) 678-9750, or visit the site Kent County Association of Realtors or view the Chamber Member Realtors in the Business Directory.